Welcome to the Pikes Peak Economics Club Web Site
PPEC Mission Quotes
"To educate a man is to unfit him to be a slave." - Frederick Douglass
"To be controlled in our economic pursuits means to be controlled in everything." – F.A. Hayek.
"[T]he burden of government is not measured by how much it taxes, but by how much it spends." -- Milton Friedman
PPEC email subscription
There are no formal PPEC members. Meetings and emails are open to the general public. Click here to request to be added to the PPEC email list, which will keep you informed of activities, articles of interest, and related events.
Please bring $3-5 to each meeting as a club contribution to cover expenses. Or, bring a check in an amount you think is fair. Or, mail your contribution to PPEC, P.O. Box 10017, Colorado Springs, CO 80932. Contributions cover all events, website maintenance, library rental, handouts and sundries.
For 2014, we will usually hold our meetings on the 1st or 2nd Thursday of each month at Colorado Technical University (4435 N. Chestnut St., Colorado Springs, CO 80907). We will meet in Room 256 for the first quarter of 2014: Jan. 9/Feb. 6/Mar. 6. The room number may vary so check the monthly calendar for details of a particular meeting. Special meetings are occasionally held on other days and at other venues to accommodate special guest speakers.
6:30-7:00pm Meet & Greet
8:00-8:30pm Questions & Answers
8:30 pm Adjourn
Streaming and archived video of events (under construction)
Free People Free Markets
A three-part seminar presented at the PPEC meetings on an occasional basis by Dr. Paul Prentice:
Part I: The Moral Foundations of Capitalism powerpoint
Part II: The Progressivism Threat to Free Markets powerpoint
Part III: How the Federal Reserve Monetary System Destroys Liberty powerpoint
(Site admin, RiverRat: This is a great lecture series explaining how people's economic and personal freedoms are intertwined and inseparable.)
- Why Litigate Constitutional Law? Why Me? Why Now? Apr 03, 2014 from 04:00 PM to 06:00 PM — Denver University, The Sturm College of Law, 2255 E. Evans Ave Denver, CO 80210 ., — by Dr. Paul Prentice, Ph.D.
- Featuring William H. Mellor: President, Institute for Justice. Presented by the DU Law Federalist Society and the Sturm College of Law.
- Peter Schuck: Why Government Fails So Often (and how it can do better) Apr 10, 2014 from 06:00 PM to 08:00 PM — UCCS, University Center, Room 303, — by Dr. Paul Prentice, Ph.D.
- Sponsored by the "Program for Preserving a Free and Prosperous Society", at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. (This also serves as the April PPEC meeting)
- Article V Symposium: The Road to the Convention of States Mar 27, 2014 from 06:00 PM to 08:30 PM — Denver Convention Center, 700 14th St., Denver CO 80202, — by Dr. Paul Prentice, Ph.D.
- Presented by Colorado's First Committee, the Article V Symposium will feature Professor Robert G. Natelson and other prominent constitutionalists in an eye-opening discussion of the state-initiated amendment process.
- Bank of England Drops a Bombshell on Parliament: It Shredded Its Crisis Era Records — by Pam Martin: Wall Street on Parade — last modified Mar 14, 2014 11:46 AM
- Mark Carney, the head of the Bank of England, and other officials from the BOE were put through a five hour marathon of questioning yesterday by Parliament’s Treasury Select Committee covering everything from how long the BOE plans to continue Quantitative Easing (QE), to the potential for Scotland to vote for its independence, to what it knew and when it knew it about the rigging of the Foreign Exchange market by colluding global banks.
- Peak Freedom Festival 2104: A Day-Long Celebration Of The Ideas That Made America Great Apr 05, 2014 from 11:30 AM to 09:30 PM — Cheyenne Mountain Resort andd Conference Center, 3225 Broadmoor Valley Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80906, — by Dr. Paul Prentice, Ph.D.
- "Can Freedom Survive Gargantuan Government?". Cosponsored by the Peak Freedom Forum and the Center for the Study of Government and the Individual at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.
- PPEC Monthly Meeting: Featuring Paul Prentice Mar 13, 2014 from 06:30 PM to 08:30 PM — Colorado Technical University, Rm. 256, Chestnut St., Colorado Springs, CO 80907 , — by Dr. Paul Prentice, Ph.D.
- This is a dry-run for my upcoming lecture to the "2014 Interdisciplinary Conference on Teaching Capitalism: Classroom Instruction and Research", at the Ely Broad Graduate School of Management (Troy, MI)
- Why Are So Many Economists Confused About Obamacare’s Effects on Jobs? — by John C. Goodman: Research Fellow at The Independent Institute — last modified Mar 02, 2014 10:05 AM
- What’s wrong with the business economists? Have they forgotten everything they learned in Econ 101?
- PPEC Monthly Meeting: Changed to Thursday, March 13 Mar 06, 2014 12:00 AM — by Dr. Paul Prentice, Ph.D.
- Due to a scheduling conflict, the regular monthly meeting for March has been pushed back one week, to Thursday March 13.
- Richard Ebeling on Austrian Economics, Economic Freedom and the Trends of the Future — by Richard Ebeling: Senior fellow at the American Institute for Economic Research in Great Barrington, Massachusetts and professor of economics at Northwood University in Midland, Michigan. He has been a visiting professor at Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut (2008-2009), served as the president of the Foundation for Economic Education (FEE) from 2003 to 2008 and was the Ludwig von Mises Professor of Economics at Hillsdale College, in Michigan (1988-2003). — last modified Feb 17, 2014 12:30 PM
- Interview with the Daily Bell
- Concept of Government Control of Marketplace is Basically Flawed — by Paul Prentice: Associate Scholar at the Ludwig von Mises Institute, and Professor of Economics and Business at Colorado Technical University. — last modified Feb 17, 2014 12:21 PM
- EJ Dionne's recent Op-Ed piece, "Austrian economic school has led to gridlock in Washington" deserves a response.